Medal of Bravery (M.B.)

Military Valour Decorations are national honours awarded to recognize acts of valour, self-sacrifice or devotion to duty in the presence of the enemy.

The Medal of Bravery (MB) recognizes acts of bravery in hazardous circumstances.

Source: Governor General of Canada
(Medal description)

Medal of Bravery (MB)

The following Royal Canadians have received the Medal of Bravery (MB).

It is known that this list may be incomplete, please identify omissions to the Regimental Adjutant.

RankInitialsNameDate of Action 
WOJohn KurtBoehne, M.B., C.D.16 November 1975 Citation
CWOErroll JosephGapp, M.M.M., M.B., C.D.1 February 1975 Citation
LtJohn GordonPrentice, M.B.14 August 1986Citation
WODennis RichardRobinson, M.B., C.D.7 May 1984Citation

WO John Kurt Boehne, M.B., C.D.

Belleville, Ontario

Date of Instrument: December 5, 1977
Date of Presentation: June 23, 1978

WO. John Boehne of CFB Petawawa took a live grenade from a comrade who had panicked during exercises at the base on 16 November 1975. WO. Boehne, supervisor in the throwing bay, realized that the man had removed the grenade safety lever but that he was still holding the explosive in his hand. Knowing that a grenade fuse burns down in seconds, he grasped the man's hand but failed to loosen his grip. It was only by hitting the victim's hand against the bay wall that he managed to dispense of the grenade over the wall. It exploded almost instantly after the men took cover.

CWO Erroll Joseph Gapp, M.M.M., M.B., C.D.

Meaford, Ontario

Date of Instrument: May 17, 1976
Date of Presentation: June 28, 1976

On 1 February 1975 while caught in the crossfire between Greek and Turkish forces at the United Nations Post Mojave in Cyprus, Pte Erroll Gapp risked his life in order to administer treatment to casualties of the fighting and to negotiate for a cease-fire with the opposing factions. During the exchange of heavy machine-gun fire a Turkish private was seriously wounded and had to be evacuated. With complete disregard for his own safety Pte Gapp exposed himself to direct fire and was instrumental in removing him from the scene. Later Pte Gapp contributed to the safety of another Turkish soldier suffering from severe shock. The man was led to his section by Pte Gapp who then returned to his own bunker where he resumed negotiations until relieved from his post.

Lieutenant John Gordon Prentice, M.B.

Burlington, Ontario

Date of Instrument: June 15, 1987
Date of Presentation: September 25, 1987

While employed as a platoon commander on peacekeeping duties in Cyprus, Lt. Prentice was involved in a dangerous and potentially explosive situation along the Cease Fire Line. On the morning of August 14, 1986, he led an unarmed patrol ordered to re-establish a United Nations presence in a contested area of the Buffer Zone known as Beaver Lodge. This led to a confrontation with the Turkish Cypriot Security Forces who were under orders to shoot anyone entering the area. During the course of the incident, attempts were made to physically remove Lt. Prentice and his patrol. They were also repeatedly threatened at gunpoint with death. At one crucial point, Lt. Prentice placed himself between a member of his patrol and an armed Turkish soldier whose agitated officer was ordering him to open fire. Lt. Prentice's firm but calm manner clearly helped defuse this potentially lethal situation, resulting in the successful establishment of the patrol in the area.

Warrant Officer Dennis Richard Robinson, M.B., C.D.


Date of Instrument: May 7, 1984
Date of Presentation: July 9, 1984

On the evening of 4 May 1983, WO. Dennis Richard Robinson, attached to the First Battalion of the Royal Canadian Regiment, risked his life to save that of a soldier on the grenade range at Canadian Forces Base Borden. WO. Robinson was moving through an assault course with two trainees who were carrying live fragmentation grenades with four-second fuses. When told to hit a target, one soldier pulled the safety pin but dropped the grenade to the ground. Puzzled, the other trainee did not react quickly enough to the command to take cover. WO. Robinson dashed forward and tackled the soldier, knocking him behind a partial natural protection, but using his own body as a shield. The grenade, with a lethal radius of eighteen metres, exploded a metre away. Fortunately no injuries were sustained